Search This Blog

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Thursday's Child has far to go.

In popular culture, there is a little rhyme that says:
Monday's child is fair of face;
Tuesday's child is full of grace;
Wednesday's child is full of woe;
Thursday's child has far to go;
Friday's child is loving and giving;
and so on....

My M, T, W Thursdays and F for the past 30 years have been filled with working at least one and sometimes 2 jobs, going to school finally getting my degree the same year my daughter did, raising my 4 kids by myself and trying to keep my head above water. My last 3 years, my Thursdays have been filled with one precious day a week of sleeping in past 6:30, having a proper cup of coffee instead of that office crap they call coffee, reading the paper and hanging out with my very lovely young son even if it just means having a real breakfast instead of a Balance bar in the car. During the school year it gives me time to help out in Henry's class and keep up with what is going on with him. I try to do my errands, get my haircut, go to the dentist, clean, do laundry and grocery shop. Much as I hate all the later, it never seems that bad because I am doing it while everyone else is hunched over their computers and phones and spreadsheets. Then in the evenings Henry goes to Dad's. Every Thursday night. And I get to top off my night with a good book, bubble baths, facials and glasses of wine if I want to. I feel like I have earned this guilty pleasure and I have even taken the pay cut and tightened my belt accordingly. Today I was informed that I am about to lose my Thursday's off. Someone in my department quit and we have a hiring freeze and I have to come back to work on Thursday or RESIGN. After 9 years with this company. A company that employs over 153,000. A company that just announced they are going to open a technology facility in India. Today, this Thursday, I am grieving. I am going to have 3 glasses of wine instead of 2. I am going to try to gracefully embrace my new fucking work week. But THIS Thursday I have far to go!

2 comments:

Cheri said...

Oh! You need a big lovie! I'm sorry you're bummed. Bring me your laundry! I'll do it. Better yet, you and Henry can move in with us so you won't have to go grocery shopping or clean. We'll talk. Love you.

Aaryn said...

What a bummer.
I'm so, so sorry.
Maybe you should have a martini?